I have to be honest, most of my baking ideas are basically made with whatever I can find in my kilner jars, cupboards and fridge.
This recipe was born in the same way, through a kitchen raid of which I found 3 eggs, a bag of seriously good chocolate & a kilner jar filled with shelled pistachios (which desperately needed doing something with instead of falling into the fate of being shoved unglamorously into my gob)! The only remit for these brownies is that they needed to be gluten free as I had a meeting the following day with someone who's partner has a gluten free diet.
These brownies are exceptionally chewy, sticky and moist. I used Holy Lama Spice Drops to get a beautifully fragrant masala chai flavour and I have to say it ended up being so subtle with hints of spice which didn't overpower the dark chocolate and delicate pistachio flavour either.
So here goes, these are definitely not perfect but they are delicious Brownies with all the umptiousness you need.
3 medium eggs (free range, organic)
220g good quality dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids)
220g unsalted butter
200g unrefined golden caster sugar (I only use billingtons)
Pinch of salt
4 drops of Holy Lama Masala Chai
1 vanilla pod de seeded
150g ground almonds
100g crushed walnuts
100g crushed pistachios plus more for decoration
1. Pre-heat oven to 160
2. Pre line a 9inch square baking tray
3. Over a bain marie melt the chocolate and butter until all combined, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes
4. Add all the remaining ingredients into the chocolate & butter mixture and stir until combined.
5. Turn out into the pre lined baking tray and sprinkle with more pistachios to decorate.
6. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, the brownies will be just set on the top with a serious wobble (don't be alarmed if they carry on cooking out of the oven - the trick is not to over cook the brownies.)
7. You can serve these warm with ice cream or just as they are.
@shelinacooks (twitter/instagram)Suggest a correction