PRESS ASSOCIATION -- Two people arrested in Afghanistan over an alleged plot to attack UK troops have been released.
The man and woman, both British passport holders with dual nationalities, were detained last month after a joint raid between UK troops and the Afghan intelligence service.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm, in accordance with UK detention policy, that two individuals detained by ISAF forces in mid-July were released from detention in Kandahar on July 29."
Legal charity Reprieve, which campaigns for prisoners' rights, wrote to the Foreign Office to warn that the suspects could face torture or the death penalty if transferred to Afghan custody.
It was understood there was no link between the arrests and any potential terror plot in the UK.
A Home Office spokeswoman refused to comment on whether the pair will now be allowed back to Britain.
She said: "We do not routinely comment on individual cases."
UK authorities can exclude individuals not considered "conducive to the public good".
According to The Guardian, the man and woman were due to be extradited back to Britain at the end of last week but were released after their lawyer threatened to challenge their imprisonment in UK courts.