Researchers at the University of Montreal were unable to carry out a study comparing the views of men who had never watched porn with those of regular users because they were unable to find a single man who hadn’t seen it!
“We started our research seeking men in their 20s who had never consumed pornography,” said Professor Simon Louis Lajeunesse. “We couldn't find any.”
However, their efforts were not completely fruitless. The scientists were still able to examine the habits of those men who used pornography (ie. all of them).
After interviewing 20 heterosexual male university students who consumed pornography, Lajeunesse found that the average age they were first exposed to porn was just 10 years old.
The study revealed that 90% of consumption was online with the other 10% of the material being hired from the video shop.
Not that surprisingly single men consumed more than their coupled up counterparts, watching X-rated material for an average of 40 minutes three times a week. But even men in relationships were found to indulge 1.7 times a week for 20 minutes.
The study also revealed that men preferred to watch pornography that matched their own image of sexuality and dismissed anything they deemed offensive.
“Not one subject had a pathological sexuality,” he said. “In fact, all of their sexual practices were quite conventional.
“Pornography hasn't changed their perception of women or their relationship, which they all want to be as harmonious and fulfilling as possible,” he added.
Would you be offended if your partner watched pornography? Can a woman who watches porn still be a feminist? Tell us your thoughts.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more