Allergy To Hair Dye Leaves Mother In A Coma

Hair Dye

The Huffington Post UK   First Posted: 21/11/2011 17:42 Updated: 22/11/2011 17:33

A mother who collapsed and stopped breathing after suffering an allergic reaction to a home hair dye kit, is fighting for her life in hospital.

Julie McCabe, 38, was in a coma on Sunday night and has been given just an 8% chance of survival. Doctors have warned that even if she survives she will almost certainly have permanent brain damage.

The mother of two is on a life support machine at Airedale General Hospital in West Yorkshire, following the incident, which happened on October 30.

It is believe she suffered a severe allergic reaction to a chemical in the L'Oréal home hair colour kit.

Mrs CcCabe, who had used the same product before, began to feel ill immediately after dying her hair and told her husband, Russell, she was struggling to breathe.

Her father, Keith Miller, of Shipley, told the Yorkshire Post: "She finished dyeing her hair and said 'I don't feel well, I can't breathe', to her husband. He rushed her to hospital.

"She is in a coma. We've spoken to the doctors and they have more or less said to us the condition so he in no is most likely how she will stay. They are not giving us much hope. It's hard to take in."

It is thought the chemical, para-phenylenediamine (PPD) may be what caused the reaction. While PPD is present in 99% of all hair dyes, in rare cases the chemical can lead to anaphylaxis.

A spokesperson for L'Oréal said in a statement, the company is "extremely concerned to hear about this serious situation.

"We do not know the details of the case so it would be inappropriate for us to comment further, however we will do everything we can to assist this lady's family and medical team with information they might need to establish what happened."

FOLLOW HUFFPOST UK LIFESTYLE