BBC Sport Website Launches To Mixed Reaction
The BBC Sport website has been relaunched for the first time since 2003.
The striking - and very yellow - new layout is a departure from its former, more sedate appearance, which was similar to the website's news pages.
BBC Sport Director Barbara Slater said: “This redesign, the first in a series of innovations planned for 2012, builds on our broadcasting heritage by putting live coverage at the heart of our online output in what is poised to be an unforgettable year in British sport.”
According to thenextweb.com, BBC Sport online is the most popular Internet sports service in the UK, pulling in almost 12 million users a week.
The new layout includes:
- Switch from vertical left-hand navigation to horizontal
- New global navigation - ability to go to any sport from any page on the site
- New visual design with bigger, bolder images
- Enhanced football scores, results, fixtures and tables
- Enhanced live text commentary pages and video player
- Ability to share stories through social media, and comment on selected stories (coming soon)
- New web address
- New permanent web addresses for key content (eg Gossip columns)
- New England homepage
Twitter discussion quickly turned the update into a trending subject, with some praise – and a lot of scorn.
What do you think of the new-look BBC Sport pages?