Twins Gabriel And Tryce Medrano Accidentally Suffocated To Death In Mother Kiarra Kimbel's Bed

Posted: Updated:
Gabriel and Tryce Medrano accidentally suffocated after sharing a bed with their mother Kiarra Kimbel
Gabriel and Tryce Medrano accidentally suffocated after sharing a bed with their mother Kiarra Kimbel

Three-week-old twin boys accidentally suffocated after sharing a bed with their mother, a coroner has ruled.

Gabriel and Tryce Medrano were found unconscious by Kiarra Kimbel and rushed to hospital last November.

The babies were pronounced dead on arrival at Portneuf Medical Centre, the Idaho State Journal reported.

Bannock County Coroner Kim Quick said: "I would like to caution those that sleep with their infants, that this is an unsafe practice.”

Their deaths had been investigated as possibly suspicious, but the coroner’s findings revealed they were no more than a tragic accident, the Daily Mail said.

A few days before her sons’ deaths, Ms Kimbel wrote on Facebook: “Wow, it is amazing to have two babies. Hard work and lost sleep but way worth it. I love them so much.”

The number of infant deaths caused by accidental suffocation has quadrupled in the two decades from 1984 to 2004, according to the February issue of Pediatrics.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends room-sharing rather with parents rather than sharing beds.

Around the Web

Cops probe death of Idaho twins - New York Daily News

Mom Investigated After Twins Stop Breathing At The Same Time