Huffpost UK uk

Syrian Officials Warned That Those Involved In Brutal Suppression Will Be 'Held Accountable'

Posted: Updated:
Syrian officials involved in the suppression of anti-regime protests will be 'held accountable', Western diplomats warn
Syrian officials involved in the suppression of anti-regime protests will be 'held accountable', Western diplomats warn

Syrian officials involved in the brutal suppression of anti-regime protests will eventually be held accountable for their actions, Western diplomats have warned.

Efforts are under way in Western capitals to assemble evidence of human rights abuses by members of president Bashar al Assad's regime with a view to use in future proceedings.

Referral to the International Criminal Court would require the authorisation of the United Nations Security Council - currently seen as unlikely given the opposition of Russia and China.

However Western officials insist that eventually those Syrians responsible for atrocities against the civilian population could still be brought to book.

Steps are already under way within the European Union to impose travel bans and asset freezes on named Syrian officials - a move which could translate into further action at a later date.

"It is important that Syrian senior regime officials understand that even if they are out of reach today there may come a point down the line when they will be held accountable," said one Western diplomat.

"A lot of these mid-ranking officials, they don't have significant assets and within the EU jurisdiction they are probably not going to travel much.

"But mainly it shows that a list of names that at the moment is a list of people who are not allowed to travel to the EU can very easily become another kind of list of names in another form further down the line."

Officials admit they see little hope of breaking the current cycle of violence, with the regime now apparently firmly locked in to a "security solution".

"With the amount of blood that has been spilt the regime is now committed to this process, it can't back up. There is too much blood spilt. It is a cul-de-sac," said one diplomat.

"They will either succeed by force of arms or they will lose."

Despite the frustration, there was caution about calls from some in the Syrian opposition for the international community to establish safe havens or humanitarian corridors through which aid can pass.

Officials warned of the dangers of sending in aid workers without adequate protection.

"It is important not to engage in wishful thinking about what you can do if you are not going to do the whole thing, otherwise you end up in mid-1990s and Bosnia," said one diplomat.

Meanwhile, 25 people have been killed and 175 wounded in Aleppo, Syria's largest city.

Syrian media reported that the fatalities were caused by two explosions near security compounds in the northern city.

State television blamed "terrorists" for the blasts, following the regime line that armed groups looking to destabilise Syria are behind the uprising.

But opposition activists accused Mr Assad's regime of setting off the blasts.

More than 5,400 people have been killed since the uprising began in March last year.

Foreign Secretary William Haguesaid yesterday that Britain has no plans to arm Syrian rebels trying to overthrow the president.

David Cameron has pledged to maintain the pressure on Mr Assad and his government, saying he was determined to see the "toughest possible response" to the brutality.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon has condemned the "appalling brutality" of the onslaught.

Around the Web

2011–2012 Syrian uprising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syria Protests February 4, 2012 : A Video Roundup :: www.uruknet ...

After reports of mass bloodshed in Syria, protests erupt on several ...

Blasts hit Syrian government buildings on day of protest - CNN.com

Syria News - Protests (2011)

Latest breaking news on Syria protests - breakingnews.com