The Syrian government has blocked access to a website offering live video of the embattled city of Homs, after the UN adopted a resolution condemning the regime.
Techcrunch reports that access to Bambuser, a live video service used by residents in Syria to broadcast live streaming coverage of the crisis, has been blocked.
News media including the Huffington Post UK have used the site to monitor the developing humanitarian disaster in Homs, after almost two weeks of constant shelling by government forces.
On Wednesday one stream broadcast dramatic footage of black smoke blocking out the sky above the neighbourhood of Baba Amr after an explosion at an oil line.
The footage of the explosion's aftermath can still be viewed online.
Apparently recognising the power of such sites, access to Bambuser has now been closed off inside the country.
The website was also blocked in Egypt during the January 2011 uprising that topped President Mubarak, and also in Bahrain over the last six months.
The move came as the UN General Assembly voted in favour by an overwhelming majority for a resolution calling for an end to the violence against civilians.
Just 12 countries voted against the resolution, which also called on President Bashar al-Assad to resign.
They included Russia and China, who previously vetoed a similar resolution in the Security Council, as well as Iran, North Korea, Zimbabwe and Cuba, along with Syria itself.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said the resolution was "unbalanced".
Meanwhile a Pulitzer Prize-winning American journalist, Anthony Shadid, died on assignment in the country after suffering an asthma attack.
At a meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron on Friday, French president Nicolas Sarkozy said there was a "major convergence of views and a clear common determination" between the two countries to tackle the Syrian crisis.
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more