A British journalist injured in Syria has urged the world to help the people of Homs to prevent a "massacre beyond measure."
Speaking to Sky News from his hospital bed, Paul Conroy, who was smuggled out of Syria on Tuesday warned about the situation in the besieged city of Homs, saying "God knows what's going to happen now the cameras are gone."
"We're going to have the shame of sitting back ad watching it once again, as in Srebrenica, as in Rwanda. It's not too late for someone to step up to the mark and do something. Otherwise forget it. We're going to be talking about a massacre beyond measure. Do something."
His warning came as the Syrian National Council warned around 4,000 residents in Baba Amr were left behind after the Free Syrian Army was forced to flee, and now live in fear of a "massacre", and the International committee of the Red Cross said aid being carried to Homs had been halted by government forces.
Conroy, speaking about Syria said: "This is not a war, it's a massacre...in years to come we're going to ask how did we let this happen under our nose?"
He said there were "rooms full of people waiting to die" in the city.
Conroy also paid tribute to his Sunday Times colleague Marie Colvin, who was killed in Homs, but said the real issue was the suffering of civilians in the country: "We never get the choice of how we die but. Marie died doing something she was completely passionate about. She was in one of the most dangerous situations in the world, in this current time and she just wanted to tell the truth."
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more