Anders Breivik said he "would do it all again because he was motivated by goodness, not evil" as he read out a statement explaining why he massacred 77 people in Norway last year.
The 33-year-old, addressing the Oslo court on Tuesday, said his bombing campaign and shooting spree was the "most sophisticated and spectacular political attack seen in Europe" since World War II.
The killer's testimony 30-minute testimony was not broadcast so as not to give a platform to his extreme views. However press were allowed to stay in court and report his views, and his full statement will be available later.
The self-confessed killer also referred to Hitler, saying the last time Europe had a democracy the genocidal dictator was in charge.
The far-right extremist told the court he had "lowered the rhetoric" out of consideration for his victims.
"They try to claim that I fell out of work life, that I am a mean and loser, they have also claimed that I am a narcissist. There is a claim that I am a pathetic child killer, despite not being accused of killing anyone under 14."
The killer claimed: "People who call me evil have misunderstood", and that "violent reaction" was the only solution to multiculturalism.
"It is as wrong to call me evil as to call the US commanders that during WWII when they decided to drop the Bomb," he said, adding that he did not regret the atrocities he committed.
He said 69% of British people had an issue with immigration.
Breivik ended his hour-long rant asking for an acquittal, saying he "acted to defend my country and my people."
Earlier in the dramatic trial a judge was dismissed after calling for the 33-year-old to face the death penalty on facebook shortly after the killer massacred 77 people last July.
The court was adjourned for 30 minutes as judges held an emergency meeting, before the judge ruled Thomas Indrebo's online comments would "weaken the trust in his impartiality" and dismissed him as a lay judge.
"The fact that Mr Indebro did not state that he had given such impressions will weaken the case in his impartiality. Mr Indebro shall be dismissed as a lay judge," Wenche Arntzen said.
He will be replaced by Anne Wisloff.
The Norwegian killer had smiled as the court's judge raised concerns over the impartiality of Indrebo.
"The death penalty is the only just sentence in this case!!!!!!!!!!" the message read.
Breivik pleaded not guilty to the twin attacks on Monday, saying he acknowledged the bombing and massacre but carried them out because of "self defence."
The 33-year-old made a far-right salute as he arrived at the Oslo courtroom, and interrupted proceedings to say that he does not recognise the Norwegian court.
Breivik sipped water as horrific details of his mass killings were read out in court
Breivik showed no emotion as a court read out gruesome details of the 77 people he murdered - but a 12 minute propaganda film outlining his beliefs caused the self-confessed killer to weep.
He later said he was weeping for his country.
Wearing a dark suit and metallic-coloured tie, he looked down and touched his chin as the gruesome details of their deaths were read out.
He told the judge: "I do not recognise the Norwegian courts"
Some of the details of the murders and injuries were so horrific the Norwegian media bleeped them out.
The killer wipes away a tear as the court sees his propaganda video
He also displayed no emotion when he was played a tape of a 22-year-old Renate Taarnes's terrified phone call to police during the Utoya attack, where she whispered: "He's coming! He's coming."
Overall 102 names, dates of births and details of those Breivik killed and injures were read in court over 30 minutes.
At court yesterday Breivik's defence lawyer Geir Lippestad said evidence from the killer would be crucial "for the court to decide on an independent basis whether he is legally sane and can be punished or not."
He said Breivik wished to be sentenced as a sane person, stressing: "The defendant's wish is to be sentenced as a legally sane person. So our evidence will support that claim."
One of the survivors of the massacre Jorid Nordmelan, who will hear Breivik testify, said the trial was unprecedented.
"It's a historical date for Norwegians," she told the BBC. "We never had a trial like this, so we don't know what's going to happen.
Armed police walk in the street outside the Oslo district courtroom
"Prosecutors told me they were going to make the opening statements awful, so that people can just feel what he did right there."
He is due to give evidence for five days, explaining why he set off a bomb in Oslo, killing eight, before gunning down 69 people, mostly teenagers, at a Labour Party youth camp on Utoya island, outside the Norwegian capital.
The police van with terror charged Anders Behring Breivik leaves the Ila prison in Baerum, Norway
Since Breivik has confessed to the July 22 attacks - claiming they were necessary to protect Norway from being taken over by Muslims - the key issue that remains unresolved is his mental health.
Breivik attempted to justify his views in a 1,500-page manifesto published on the internet before the atrocities.
Prosecutors showed images of Breivik taken from his manifesto. A badge on the uniform read "Marxist Hunter"
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more