Rupert Murdoch At Leveson: News Corp Doesn't Push Our Commercial Interests In Papers

25/04/2012 11:41

Rupert Murdoch has told the Leveson inquiry into press ethics that his media empire News Corp never "pushed our commercial interests in our newspapers."

The 81-year-old media mogul, giving evidence to the London-based inquiry on Wednesday said he was not a "Sun King" character who used charisma to influence his media empire.

"I try very hard to set an example of ethical behaviour and make it quite clear that I expect it," he said.

"One can describe that in a number of ways. But do I do it via an aura or charisma? I don't think so."

The News Corp chief also denied asking favours from the top of government, stressing: "I have never asked a prime minister for anything."

He also denied influencing editors on the Times and Sunday Times, adding he was "sorry to say" he "never much" interfered with the News of the World.

"If you want to judge my thinking, look at The Sun," he said.

Murdoch said he would use his two day appearance at Leveson to "put some myths to bed."

Rupert Murdoch

26/04/2012 13:18 BST

It's over

Murdoch's evidence to Leveson has finished. But they'll be more written evidence to delve through online soon.

26/04/2012 13:11 BST

Murdoch is told about a journalists who claimed she experienced "constant bullying." He asks why she did not resign.

Leveson interjects, saying: "I think the problem with that might be that she needs a job".

Murdoch says he has "never heard of" allegations of bullying in News International. "They always strike me as a happy crowd."

26/04/2012 13:09 BST

Murdoch says no allegations of bullying have been brought to his attention.

26/04/2012 13:09 BST

@ paulwaugh :

Leveson refuses to allow NUJ lawyer to ask Qs re NI's MSC collusion w cops. But Murdoch says MSC didn't reveal journo sources

26/04/2012 13:08 BST

NUJ lawyer asking Murdoch about allegations of editors bullying

Murdoch says his journalists can join the NUJ at any point.

26/04/2012 13:02 BST

@ rowenamason :

Some of my channels are better than the BBC, some a lot worse, says Murdoch #Leveson

26/04/2012 13:00 BST

A lawyer for Associated Newspapers stands up - tells Murdoch he has made a mistake

He says Murdoch's accusation about Dacre: "I'm going to suggest you've made a mistake in reading something."

But Murdoch said he did not "see the difference," adding: "I think there's no doubt that maybe the Daily Mail and other newspapers were campaigning against it and against us.. That is a commercial reason. They said at the time in their public statement they felt in some commercial danger, if you like, if we succeeded."

26/04/2012 12:54 BST

@ Peston :

"I've spent hundreds of millions of dollars" on internal investigation, says Murdoch. Really? Can it really be that much. #leveson

26/04/2012 12:54 BST

@ mlcalderone :

Murdoch claims Huffington Post has just "a few" reporters -- he should come by the newsroom some time! #leveson

26/04/2012 12:47 BST

Quite hilariously, Murdoch says his paper the Wall Street Journal is a "challenge to get through." Unsure if he meant it like that. He says they are adding more pictures to it.