Huffpost UK uk

Ched Evans Rape Case: Three Men Released On Bail After Twitter 'Naming', More Arrests Likely

Posted: Updated:
Print Article

Three men arrested as part of the investigation into the naming on Twitter of the victim in the Ched Evans rape case have been released on bail, police said on Friday.

However, Detective Chief Inspector Steve Williams, who is leading the investigation into the 'naming' on the micro-blogging site, warned that there will be "further arrests".

"Further arrests are planned and will be made in the forthcoming days," said Williams.

The Sheffield United footballer was jailed for five years last week for raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room.

Two of the men were arrested under Section 5 of the Sexual Offences Amendments Act and the third was being held on suspicion of malicious communication, police said.

Today North Wales Police said all three have been bailed following questioning at Sheffield Police Station to return to a police station in North Wales in the near future.


Ched Evans was jailed for five years

They have been bailed to allow police to conduct further inquiries and to consult with the Crown Prosecution Service, a spokesman said.

Detective Chief Inspector Steve Williams, who is leading the investigation, added: "Further arrests are planned and will be made in the forthcoming days."

Wales international striker Evans, 23, was jailed for five years at Caernarfon Crown Court on Friday after being found guilty of raping the woman, who was "too drunk to consent".

Following the conclusion of the trial, the victim of the rape was allegedly named and subjected to abuse on Twitter and other websites.

North Wales Police described the online comments as "profoundly disturbing" and said they contributed to the young woman's "continued trauma".

Rape and other sexual assault victims are guaranteed the legal right to lifetime anonymity.

Evans admitted having sex with the victim, then aged 19, at a hotel in North Wales last May.

In her evidence, the woman said she had no memory of the incident and the prosecution argued she was too drunk to consent to sexual intercourse.

Evans' co-accused, Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, 23, who also admitted having sex with the victim, was found not guilty.

Evans announced on Tuesday that he would appeal against his conviction.

In a statement posted on Sheffield United's website, law firm Brabners Chaffe Street said Evans "maintains his innocence" and would be appealing against the jury's verdict.

Sheffield United defender Connor Brown was suspended by the club for comments he allegedly made on Twitter following the trial.

The Blades' reserve-team player responded to Evans' five-year prison sentence by tweeting various comments in relation to the case and his support for his teammate.