A painting by John Constable has sold for £22,441,250 - a world record price at auction for the Romantic artist.
The Lock, finished in 1824, is the fifth in a celebrated series of six large-scale paintings of the Stour Valley that Constable exhibited between 1819 and 1825.
The painting, remarkable for its excellent state of preservation and from the collection of Baroness Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza, sold tonight at Christie's in London.
The auction house said the series of paintings defined Constable's artistic maturity and "represent a distillation of his profound emotional and artistic response to the scenery of his native Suffolk".
Among the series are several of the artist's most renowned works, including The White Horse (1819; New York, The Frick Collection), and The Hay Wain (1822; London, National Gallery).
The Lock was bought at the 1824 Royal Academy exhibition by James Morrison, who was the son of an innkeeper and who rose to become one of the wealthiest British merchants of the 19th Century and an outstanding collector of old and modern masters.
The Lock remained in the possession of his descendants until 1990.
But did The Lock make the top ten most expensive paintings ever?
10 - Massacre Of The Innocents by Peter Paul Rubens, $76.7m (£49.4m)
Sold at Sotheby's in London in July 2002. PHOTO: PA
Bal Du Moulin De La Galette by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, $78.1m (£48.3m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 1990. PHOTO: Alamy
8. Le Bassin Aux Nympheas by Claude Monet, $80.5m (£49.7m)
Sold at Christie's in London in June 2008. PHOTO: PA
7. Portrait Of Dr Gachet by Vincent van Gogh, $82.5m (£51m)
Sold at Christie's in New York in May 1990. PHOTO: Wikipainting
6. Triptych, 1976 by Francis Bacon, $86.3m (£53.3m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2008. PHOTO: PA
5. Portrait Of Adele Bloch-Bauer II by Gustav Klimt, $87.9m (£54.3m)
Sold at Christie's in New York in November 2006. PHOTO: Wikipaintings
4. Dora Maar Au Chat by Pablo Picasso, $95.2m (£58.8m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2006. PHOTO: PA
3. Boy With A Pipe (The Young Apprentice) by Pablo Picasso, $104.1 million (£64.3m)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2004. PHOTO: Wikipaintings
2. Nude, Green Leaves And Bust by Pablo Picasso, $106 million US dollars (£65.4 million)
Sold at Christie's in New York in May 2012. PHOTO: Rex
1. The Scream by Edvard Munch, $119.9 million (£74 million)
Sold at Sotheby's in New York in May 2012. PHOTO: PA