John Terry's trial will continue after his legal team's bid to have the case thrown out was rejected by the presiding judge.
The 31-year-old defender stands accused of racially abusing Queen Park Rangers' Anton Ferdinand, which the former England captain denies.
Terry's lawyer, George Carter-Stephenson, requested the judge presiding over the case, Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle, dismiss the case at the end of Tuesday morning's session.
The barrister had claimed that Ferdinand was an unreliable witness and the lip reading experts agreed it was impossible to clarify what was said at the key moment from the footage.
After lunch, however, Mr Riddle ruled that Terry does in fact have a case to answer and the trial is to resume.
Carter-Stephenson said the case was "so weak and tenuous it does not warrant it going any further".
Terry is accused of calling Ferdinand a "f****** black c***" during a Chelsea match against QPR on October 23 last year.
Earlier in the day, a recording of the interview was played at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
In the interview, the Chelsea captain said: "I have been called a lot of things in my football career and off the pitch, but being called a racist I am not prepared to take.
"That's why I came out and made my statement immediately. I am not having Anton thinking that about me or anyone else. That's not my character at all," Terry said.
Comments have been closed on this entry for legal reasons