Huffpost UK uk

England Riots: One Year Since Mark Duggan's Death, Shooting Which Sparked Disorder

Posted: Updated:
Print Article
MARK DUGGAN
Saturday marks a year since father-of-four Mark Duggan was shot dead by police after they stopped the cab in which he was travelling. | PA

Saturday marks a year since father-of-four Mark Duggan was shot dead by police after they stopped the cab in which he was travelling.

His family are still waiting to find out what happened that day - watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is currently compiling a report that will be passed to a coroner in the autumn.

An inquest into his death is due to take place in January but there is a possibility that some evidence about police operations will need to be heard in secret, which would mean that a special type of public inquiry would need to be held instead.

Mr Duggan died when officers blocked the grey people carrier in Tottenham, north London, on August 4 last year as part of a pre-planned operation and shot him in the chest.

A non-police issue handgun, converted from a blank-firing pistol to one that shoots live rounds, was recovered close to the scene.

But initial reports that Mr Duggan had fired at officers were dismissed after ballistic tests found that a bullet which lodged itself in one officer's radio was police issue.

His brother Shaun Hall and mother Pam Duggan questioned why officers had shot him in the chest rather than a non-lethal part of the body.

Speaking a month after the shooting, she said: "I just want the police to admit that they killed my son. Why didn't the police shoot him in the foot instead of in the chest?"

Mr Hall accused officers of adopting a "shoot-to-kill policy" that day.

Since his death both Scotland Yard and the IPCC have apologised for their lack of contact with his family in the wake of the shooting.

Police failed to formally notify the family of his death, and issued an apology in February this year for not speaking to his parents Ms Duggan and Bruno Hall.

His mother said that because an officer had not been to her house, she believed that her son may still be alive.

The IPCC also apologised for failing to meet with the family to explain the role of the watchdog and provide support.

A provisional date for the eight-week inquest has been set for January 28 2013, following a pre-inquest review on October 23.

Also on The Huffington Post

London Riots - A Year On
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

UK riots 2011 | UK news | The Guardian

Britain burns: Riots spread through UK cities - Yahoo! News

Summer Riots Could Be Repeated, Young Warn

Making sense of the 2011 riots for local government

Could the riots that rocked Britain happen again?

Rioters back on the streets: As anniversary nears, figures show half have been ...

Haringey Council's plan to rebuild Tottenham after riots

Olympics-Riot-hit East End weighs "two different worlds"

What the media did wrong in the riots - and how to put it right