SPORT

Barcelona Transfer Ban 'Unjust', Says Xavi (VIDEO)

07/04/2014 16:13 BST | Updated 07/04/2014 16:59 BST

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has labelled the club's transfer ban "unjust" ahead of their Champions League quarter-final second leg with Atlético Madrid on Wednesday.

The Primera Liga champions were hit with a year-long suspension from buying and selling players by Fifa last week over the acquisition of 10 minors.

It was expected Barça would begin an overhaul of their ageing squad this summer, accelerated following Victor Valdés and Carles Puyol's announcements they would the club.

However, the rebuilding process could be put on hold until the summer 2015 transfer window, although Xavi was keen to trumpet the club's La Masia academy on Monday.

"It'[the transfer ban]s disproportionate and unjust. We'll try to oppose it," he told a press conference.

Barcelona's La Masia XI

"La Masia does a more than adequate job, it's part of our philosophy. Barça spends many years working properly with youngsters, we look after them.

"We're not isolated from what happens, but we try to stay calm in the dressing room. What happens outside helps to unite us."