PARENTS

Fiona Parry, Mother Of Student Who Died After Taking 'Toxic' Diet Pills Says: 'Looking Good Shouldn't Cost You Your Life'

24/07/2015 10:07 BST | Updated 24/07/2015 10:59 BST

The mother of a student who died after taking toxic "diet pills" has called for a clampdown on websites selling potentially deadly drugs.

Speaking after hearing how her daughter sent a "heartbreaking" text saying she knew she was dying, Fiona Parry called for tighter controls of on-line sales of dinitrophenol (DNP).

The inquest heard that 21-year-old Eloise Parry, from Shrewsbury, died within hours of taking eight DNP tablets in April this year.

After the hearing at Shropshire's Shirehall, her mother said: "I would very much like to see much harsher and stiffer penalties for distributing and supplying this substance."

eloise parry

Eloise Parry

SEE ALSO: Eloise Aimee Parry, 21, Dies From Taking 'Diet Pills': What Is Dinitrophenol (DNP)?

Ms Parry, a chemistry teacher, added: "Looking good should never cost you your health or your life.

"It's been difficult to listen to the events that led to my daughter Eloise's death and there's a certain amount of relief the inquest is now over.

"And I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who tried to help her in the days, weeks and hours leading up to her death."

SEE ALSO:

Adorable Photos Of Twins Who Have Grown Up On A Boat

Couple Get £70 Parking Fine After Overstaying 5 Minutes To Change Nappy

Eloise apologised to her university lecturer for "being so stupid" in the heart-breaking message, sent around four hours before her death.

An inquest in Shrewsbury was told Miss Parry, who had a history of bulimia, died after taking eight unlicensed tablets containing dinitrophenol (DNP), which she bought on-line.

Shropshire Coroner John Ellery, who ruled that the death was accidental, said he would be writing to the Government urging a review of the classification of DNP, which is marketed on-line as a 'fat burning' pill.

Miss Parry's mother, Fiona Parry, her younger sister Rebecca, and four other family members attended the hearing at Shropshire's Shirehall.

In the text message, read to the court by Detective Sergeant Andy Chatting, Miss Parry said: "I screwed up big time. Binged/purged all night and took four pills at 4am.

"I took another four when I woke and I started vomiting soon after. I think I am going to die.

"No one is known to survive if they vomit after taking DNP. I am so scared."

The message, sent at 11.31am to a lecturer and tutors at Glyndwr University in Wrexham, where Miss Parry was on course for a first class degree in childhood and family studies, continued: "I am so sorry for being so stupid.

"Thank you for everything. I never deserved it. Please pass on my absolute appreciation for all that you have done for me.

"Thank you more than words. Ella."

The student, who lived at a flat in Shrewsbury, died at around 3.25pm after being admitted to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital's accident and emergency department at 9.56am on April 12 this year.

Recording his conclusions, Mr Ellery said DNP was clearly a dangerous and toxic substance which should not be accessible to people seeking non-prescribed medication.

"I am entirely satisfied that there is no evidence that (Miss Parry took the tablets) with the intention to kill herself.

"What is clear is that when took the dinitrophenol, she did it in relation to her eating disorder and her death was an accidental consequence."

Grieving Mother Surprised When 100 Surfers Gather For Son's Last Wish