PARENTS

Young Girl Blew Safety Pin Out Her Nose After A Six-Month Mystery Illness

03/03/2016 11:05 GMT | Updated 03/03/2016 11:59 GMT

A young girl who had a constant runny nose for six months can finally breathe a sigh of relief as the cause has been revealed.

Khloe Powell, five, had a 1.5-inch-long safety pin stuck up her nose that randomly popped out when she blew it at the weekend.

The girl, from California, had visited three different doctors, and ear, nose and throat specialist and even a dentist, who all assumed she had a sinus infection.

"I almost passed out," her mum Katelyn Powell, 25, said in an interview with ABC News about finding the pin.

"I couldn't believe it. It was huge. I was like, 'Where did this come from!'"

safety pin

Khloe Powell (L) and her mum Katelyn Powell (R)

Powell said her daughter had not only suffered from a runny nose for the past six months, but she also noticed a "horrific smell" and green liquid coming from her nose.

Khloe had been prescribed antibiotics for the suspected sinus infection but nothing had relieved her symptoms.

It wasn't until this weekend when Khloe's uncle kept telling her to "blow her nose" because it was "disgusting", that she blew it really hard and the pin popped out.

safety pin

The pin that "popped out"

When Powell asked her daughter if she had put it up there, Khloe reluctantly admitted she had.

"She was seeing how far up she could put the pins up her nose," Powell said. "She said she was pulling it out and back in and out."

Powell said she doesn't blame the doctors for missing the pin and is just "beyond relieved" that the mystery has been solved.

It's safe to say Khloe won't be putting anything up her nose again.

SEE ALSO:

French Parents Could Go To Jail For Posting Their Children's Picture On Facebook

Mum Issues Warning About 'Not Safe' Avent Dummies, Claiming They Fall Apart

Mum Shares Heartbreaking Warning About Kids' Food Allergies After Son's Near-Fatal Reaction To Peanuts

Celebrity Parents With The Most Children