It's so easy to get consumed by things, stuff, and living in your head. This results in a missing out on the moment to moment experience of life. We can find ourselves clinging to thoughts, both good and bad. Being on autopilot, at home and at work, not stopping to take in the moments results in less ease. We need to stop to collect ourselves, to allow feelings to shift and change and to enjoy life. Hankering after the next thing, event, or desire is pure hard work.
1. Avoid going from one task, meeting, or event to another without a pause and a moment to check in with yourself. It's so easy to spend the day going from pillar to post and not stop to breathe. When we stop and sit and get a sense of ourselves and how we are, we refresh for the next thing on the agenda. You will find that you are more effective, creative and better at completing tasks if you are pausing regularly.
2. Don't get caught up in other people's stuff! Sometimes we can spend ages trying to understand why someone is acting in a certain way. Spending time analysing situations and replaying conversations isn't often helpful. Allow yourself to feel the discomfort and then move forward.
3. Wishing it were different. There will always be times when you wish things were different, and that's natural. Just be aware of how often you get into that way of thinking. You may well be missing out on all of the wonderful things around you, the opportunities that are available to you and the great things you already have going on.
4. Allow yourself to feel. We don't want to feel strong emotions or feelings. Quite often the fear of the emotion is far worse than the experience of it. If we don't allow ourselves space to feel things then naturally there is a build-up of emotion and tension which creates disharmony. Feel things and allow them to shift and change.
5. Don't react. Choose how to respond. If we live in autopilot we get swept up in the current and we respond without thinking.
6. Love what you love. Give yourself time to enjoy what you love. Don't shy away from doing what makes you happy. Focus on what brings more contentment and happiness.
7. Feeling tired? Being all consumed by the goings on in your head is exhausting, and you wont have energy for fun. Make sure that you are not missing out on life due to your energy being depleted by a head full of thoughts.
8. Meditate, meditate, and meditate. It's everywhere now and the reason is because it works. Find a time and place that works for you and start a short practice. Sitting with simple things like your breath, the ticking clock or the sounds around you is a perfect starting point. It will help your mind to slow and refocus.
We have to take care of ourselves to be able to be good for those around us. Don't miss out on life. Live it!Suggest a correction