An animal lover has proved you shouldn’t leave your dog in a hot car by filming herself shut a vehicle.
On Facebook, Jess Ritchie said she was inspired to create the awareness video after hearing that Nottinghamshire Police had to smash a car window to rescue a distressed dog.
“I thought I’d try and make a video to show how quickly cars can heat up and how uncomfortable it feels to be in one,” she said.
At the start of the clip Ritchie explains she’s been driving around with the air conditioning on to mirror what most car owners do during the summer.
She then parks up and turns off the air con, to show what dogs experience when they’re left alone.
Using a thermometer, Ritchie reads out the temperature in the car as she becomes increasingly sweaty and short of breath.
At the start of her film the inside of the car is 33°, but after just seven and a half minutes the car reaches 41°.
“This is just horrible, just don’t do it,” Ritchie says.
A minute later she ends the video as the temperature reachers 41.5°, saying she can’t take any more.
The clip has been viewed more than 6,000 times, with dozens of people thanking Ritchie for raising awareness of the issue.
According to the RSPCA, leaving a dog in a hot car, even in the shade or with the windows down, can cause them to experience heatstroke.
Heatstroke occurs when dogs are unable to reduce their body temperature through panting. It can cause them to lose consciousness and experience internal organ failure, which can ultimately cause death.
The RSPCA says “don’t be afraid to dial 999” if you believe a dog is in danger.
Also on HuffPost
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more