The word pâté means paste in French. In French cookery, pâté refers to a mixture of cooked ground meat and fat with added vegetables, herbs, spices, and either wine or brandy, which is then minced into a spreadable paste. It's typically served as an hors d'oeuvre with sliced baguette or crackers.
This vegan pâté recipe substitutes walnuts and mushrooms for the meat protein and olive oil for the animal fat. The result is rich and delicious without the artery-clogging saturated fat calories!
- hearty in taste and texture
- technically a fungi (as opposed to a plant)
- a source of protein, B vitamins (riboflavin and niacin), selenium, potassium, vitamin D (especially when exposed to light)
- a source of chitin, an indigestible carbohydrate also found in shrimp and crab shells but not found in plants
- low in calories and sodium with zero fat and cholesterol
- high in plant-based omega 3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health and may reduce inflammation in the body
- loaded with protein, fiber and antioxidants
- a source of vitamin E, manganese and copper
A recent study concludes that no matter how long you cook mushrooms, they can't be overcooked. So don't worry if you're not a perfectly timed cook.
This recipe is simple, delicious and nutritious; and makes a great appetizer, condiment or sandwich spread.
Layne's Vegan Mushroom Walnut Pâté
Choose organic ingredients when available:
- 3/4-pound (about 3 1/2 cups) shitake, crimini and/or portabella mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea or rock salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut water
- 1/3-cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss mushrooms with shallot, fresh thyme and olive oil. Season with (optional) salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed roasting pan (or baking sheet) and roast for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
Using a high-speed blender, Vitamixer or food processor, transfer the mushrooms to the bowl of the blender and add remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth or finely chopped (whichever you prefer). Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with thinly sliced toasted whole grain baguette or pita chips and sliced turnips or jicama. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition facts per serving of pâté only (74 grams), without added salt: 103 calories, 8.9 grams fat, 4.5 grams carbohydrates, 5 milligrams sodium, 3.2 grams protein, 1.5 grams dietary fiber.
For dietary secrets of the super-healthy and recipes for every meal of the day, pick up a copy of my award-winning book Beyond The Mediterranean Diet: European Secrets Of The Super-Healthy. Bon Appétit!