Pickled onions star as a flavoursome addition to my new tahini sauce, lightened up yet still creamy, dreamy and oh so comforting.
Their tangy and sweet onion flavour adds an interesting note to the sauce, making it extra special yet just so easy to make.
Tahini sauce is not traditionally a low calorie food. Despite being whole food based, full of natural health benefits and utterly delicious, a serving can rack up almost as many calories as the same amount of mayonnaise! Unlike mayonnaise however, there's a decent amount of protein in tahini sauce, about 2.5g for a 1/4 cup serving along with 130 cals and 10.8g fat.
By using white cannellini beans in my recipe, we're keeping the protein but slashing the calories by half and fat by two thirds! Plus adding fibre and all the while keeping that delicious roasted sesame favour along with the zing of pickled onions, fragrance of garlic and chives and a touch of sweetness to balance everything out from apple sauce.
Served atop loaded bowls starring delicious, crispy tofu seasoned with middle-eastern flavours from ras-el-hanout and herby green harissa, this will be sure to take you to food heaven. It's of course perfect for falafels, for salads, any others bowls or rice dishes and for dipping too.
Ingredients:Tahini sauce; makes 1 1/4 cups (serving size 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 drained can cannellini (or other white) beans (3/4 cup/120g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 peppercorns or 1/4 tsp ground
- 1/3 cup pickled onions
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tbsp pickled onion vinegar (from the jar)
- A small handful of chives
- 1 large 400g block firm tofu
- 1 tbsp green harissa
- 1 tbsp ras-el-hanout
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Drain and rinse the tofu, pat dry and press if you have time.
- Cut into cubes and get a frying pan like a cast iron or enviro pan on to get really hot. Add the tofu, the harissa, ras-el-hanout and salt and toss to coat all the tofu. The oils in the harissa will help grease the pan and to 'fry' to tofu without the need for extra oil.
- Fry until golden, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blend all the tahini sauce ingredients until really smooth, taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Feel free to add any extra spice if you like.
- Get your base ingredients ready, I like too steam rice, potatoes and veg like courgettes together in the microwave for ease. I simply add the veg for the last few minutes. Or simply fill up bowls with salad leaves and any other salad ingredients you like, tumble on the tofu and smother in the creamy sauce.
I love to hear from you and connect with new bloggers and readers! Why not leave a comment below or connect with me on social media?