21/03/2012 07:01 GMT | Updated 21/03/2012 07:04 GMT

Leeds United 3-7 Nottingham Forest And Five Other Mad Matches In British Football (VIDEO)

Leeds United conceded seven for the first time ever at Elland Road, as Nottingham Forest thumped the Yorkshire side 7-3 in their Tuesday night Championship clash.

Out of 15 shots on target from both sides, 10 went in past goalkeepers Andrew Lonergan and Lee Camp in one of the most surreal evenings either club has witnessed.

Forest were only 2-1 up at half-time, but a manic second half saw six goals scored in 15 minutes, with Garath McCleary hitting five of the Reds' magnificent seven.

A mini rivalry which stems from Brian Clough's drastically varied affiliation with both clubs, Leeds manager Neil Warnock admitted he was "quite embarrassed by the result" - Forest were 19 points of adrift of Leeds at kick off.

The Championship has long had the capacity to throw up regular shock results and advertise attacking football, whereas the Premier League's big-game reticence in recent years has delivered some dull spectacles.

But this season, 49 goals have been scored in 10 games featuring the current top four. And that excludes Chelsea's games against the Manchester and north London clubs, which have also been laden with goals.

So in tribute to Forest and Leeds' dismal defending, here's five other double-figure spectacles from yesteryear...

Charlton Athletic 6-6 Middlesbrough, October 1960

The double-daddy of all goaltastic matches. It is one of only two English football matches on record which has seen 12 goals scored, with the other coming between Leicester City and Arsenal and Filbert Street in 1930.

Charlton's final equalising goal came in the 89th minute courtesy of Johnny Summers, as seven of the goals came in a seventeen minute spell.

However the game only drew 10,064 spectators. As the Middlesbrough Evening Gazzette said in their match report: "The pity of it was that the weather -- and the fact that Charlton was the venue -- kept the attendance down to 10,064.

"Those Charlton fans who stayed away will be kicking themselves; those few hardy souls who made the trip through from Tees-side must have considered their journey very, very worth while.

Portsmouth 7-4 Reading, September 2007

The highest scoring game in the Premier League era, it was also the first of two double-figure-goal matches Reading were involved in a campaign which ultimately ended in relegation. This was a game so crazy that David James went all rush goalie, reminding everyone not to forget "Calamity James".

Goals galore at Fratton Park:

Zimbabwean Benjani Mwaruwari - who has since returned to Portsmouth - hit a hat-trick against the Royals, having just scored two in eight games prior to that. He took 15 games to break his duck when he joined Pompey in 2006, but was clinical against a suspiciously laboured Reading defence, who had kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season.

Aston Villa 6-4 Blackburn Rovers, February 2010

Although Villa and Rovers are flirting with relegation now, two years ago they were League Cup semi-finalists and ambitious Premier League sides. This was a Blackburn with Sam Allardyce as manager hitting four goals away from home... but still losing.

Cup carnage:

What made their 10-goal Carling Cup second leg tie so remarkable was that Villa only shaded the first leg 1-0. Martin O'Neill's Villa were renowned for their solidity, but 10 minutes in the cat was not so much amongst the pigeons as tearing their feathers off. Nikola Kalinic's goal 10 minutes in unsettled the home side, and Rovers led the tie 16 minutes later via a second from the Croat.

But Villa rallied to draw level at half-time thanks to Stephen Warnock and James Milner, regaining the aggregate lead. And a madcap second half saw a goal every seven-and-a-half minutes as the Villans prevailed 7-4 on aggregate.

Motherwell 6-6 Hibernian, May 2010

Scottish football has suffered from Old Firm dominance, grassroots struggles and national humiliation over the past decade, but two years ago it received the sharpest of adrenaline shots with this thriller from Fir Park.

Fitba fun:

Motherwell were 6-2 down with less than 25 minutes remaining after Colin Nish had hit a hat-trick for Hibs, but Giles Coke pounced on Jim O'Brien's woodwork shot to initiate a sensational comeback.

Tom Hately and John Sutton reduced the arrears further and nine minutes later it was 6-5. Then, in the 93rd minute, Lukas Jutkiewicz hit a volley reminiscent of Marco van Basten's at the Euro '88 final to send the home supporters into raptures.

Manchester United 8-2 Arsenal, August 2011

"I'd 8-2 be an Arsenal fan," so went the joke after this annihilation. The Gunners were decimated thanks to a series of injuries and suspensions, but they actually had a chance to equalise in this game. After Danny Welbeck's opener Jonny Evans gifted the visitors a penalty which Robin van Persie hit meekly to David de Gea's right, and the Spaniard thwarted his opponent.

Arsenal annihilated:

Thereafter, goals from Ashley Young and Wayne Rooney trebled the lead, but Theo Walcott pulled one back just prior to half-time. But the next 45 minutes unravelled into one of the worst in Arsenal's history. Rooney put the game out of sight with a second free-kick and Nani chipped Wojciech Szczesny before Ji-Sung Park made it the joy of six for United with still 20 minutes to go.

Van Persie reduced the deficit by thrashing in a volley, but then full-back Carl Jenkinson was sent off. Rooney completed his treble from the penalty spot and Young curled in an eighth for the cherry on the icing on the cake. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger labelled the experience "humiliating". United weren't even at their best.