21/11/2012 12:54 GMT | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Teenager's Final Moments Caught On CCTV Before She Was Tortured And Killed By Sadistic Boyfriend

Girl's final moments caught on CCTV before she was tortured and killed by sadistic boyfriend PA

The final moments before a student was tortured and murdered by her sadistic boyfriend have been caught on CCTV.

The footage shows Hannah Windsor as she walked to a secret meeting with Adam Lewis minutes before he tied the 17-year-old to a tree, sexually assaulted her, strangled her and attacked her with a knife.

Lewis, 18, of Wirral, Merseyside, has now been jailed for at least 22 years.

He had denied murdering Hannah but changed his plea to guilty shortly before his trial at Liverpool Crown Court was due to begin. He also admitted two counts of sexual assault against his victim.

Hannah's partially clothed bodywas found hidden under leaves, twigs and dirt in woodland on Bidston Hill, Wirral, on May 19 this year.

Her mouth had been covered with surgical tape and she was strangled with a combination of his hands and a ligature.

Hannah and Lewis, who were both diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), had met when they were pupils at a Wirral special school.

After leaving school they had been in a relationship for seven months before splitting up and reuniting about six weeks before he killed her, the court heard.

In the days leading up to Hannah's death Lewis had been hiding from police after a burglary during which he started a fire. He was sleeping in a tent which he pitched in a woodland clearing on Bidston Hill, a beauty spot on the outskirts of Birkenhead.

Police became aware that Hannah knew where Lewis was hiding and warned her not to go and see him.

"Tragically, it seems Hannah was determined to ignore the advice she had been given by police and was intending to visit the defendant at his campsite," Neil Flewitt QC told the court.

Hannah was carrying a note from a detective which contained a phone number for her local police station.

The note was later found torn up at Lewis's campsite, Mr Flewitt said. "The nature and extent of the injuries were such that the pathologist concluded Hannah had been the victim of torture," he added.

Two days after Hannah disappeared Lewis was found by police sleeping rough at a railway station. A search of the police national computer revealed he was wanted for burglary and arson and he was arrested before being released on bail.

While on bail he told his sister he had killed Hannah and his grandfather contacted police. Lewis was re-arrested and taken to Bidston Hill where he directed police to an area near where Hannahs body was found.

Lewis's previous convictions date from the age of 10 when he committed an offence of dishonesty. Other offences included an assault committed when he was 13, the court was told.

Sentencing Lewis to life imprisonment today, Mr Justice Holroyde told him: "Only you know what you did to Hannah and in what order you did it.

"It is, however, clear that you deliberately inflicted cruel injuries upon her which must have caused her immense pain and suffering."

The judge added: "Adam Lewis, that was a prolonged, merciless and terrible attack, which must have been agonisingly painful for Hannah Windsor before she died.

"You must have known what dreadful pain you were causing her.