28/11/2012 11:04 GMT | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Ouch! Four-Year-Old Girl Survives After A SCREWDRIVER Gets Wedged Up Her Nose!

Ouch! Four-year-old girl survives after a SCREWDRIVER gets wedged up her nose! Rex

A four-year-old girl is making an amazing recovery after falling over and impaling her face on a screwdriver.

Jiali Gang, from Gansu Province, China, had been holding the screwdriver in her hand at her grandmother's home when she slipped and fell face first, accidentally driving the Phillips-type screwdriver up her nose.

The tool wedged itself just below her eye socket, narrowly missing her brain. The little girl was rushed to hospital where medics performed a series of x-rays and CAT scans to see if she suffered any lasting damage.

The screwdriver was wedged in so deeply and firmly that doctors feared they'd never be able to remove it with causing Jiali serious long-term damage.

A family friend said: "It really was touch and go for a while. There was a genuine concern that it would be impossible to remove it safely.

"The first two hospitals that she went to had no idea what to do. They had never seen anything like it before."

Chief surgeon Yu Qin - who has had to remove household implements from children's faces before - said: "It's only 2-3mm from the bottom of the skull. It's very dangerous."

He was able to remove the screwdriver without damaging the little girl's looks.

More on Parentdish: Toddler fell on pencil which pierced her eye socket!