28/12/2012 07:30 GMT | Updated 26/02/2013 10:12 GMT

Cambridgeshire A47 Car Crash Which Killed Two Young Girls Investigated By Police

A police investigation is under way into a fatal car crash that killed two girls aged seven and 10.

The children died after the black Ford Focus they were travelling in crashed on the A47 near Wisbech, in Cambridgeshire, at 6.40pm on Thursday, Norfolk Police said.

Both girls were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn, but later died from their injuries.

Two adults and another child also in the vehicle remain in hospital, although police said their injuries are not believed to be serious.

A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: "The incident happened on the A47 at approximately 6.40pm when a black Ford Focus left the road, ending up on its side at the edge of a ditch.

"Sadly, two girls aged seven and 10 died in hospital as a result of injuries sustained in the collision."

a47 car crash

Five people were travelling in the car, two adults and three children, who were all taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn.

The road was closed in both directions for several hours at the scene of the accident close to the Norfolk border with Cambridgeshire before reopening just before 10.30pm.

A police spokesman said officers were continuing to investigate how the vehicle came to leave the road and asked for witnesses to the crash to come forward.

The accident came two days after two young brothers were killed in a Christmas Day motorway crash.

Adnan Habib, 10, and four-year-old Arsalaan were killed when the car they were in - also a Ford Focus - crashed on the M6.

In a statement yesterday, their family said: "Adnan and Arsalaan were our family's precious jewels, spreading joy wherever they went. They were happy and joyous boys who were a central part of the family, always smiling and bringing smiles to everyone they met."

Their 32-year-old aunt, Bushra Tazarib, also died in the crash which happened close to junction 15, near Stoke-on-Trent, at about 11.25am.

Two other women were travelling in the car, including the boys' mother, who was driving at the time of the crash. Both were taken to hospital but discharged on Boxing Day after treatment.