ENTERTAINMENT
05/09/2013 05:46 BST | Updated 05/09/2013 10:21 BST

One Direction Star Liam Payne Praised For Saving Best Friend's Life In Balcony Fire

One Direction's Liam Payne has been hailed a lifesaver after rushing to rescue his best friend when his patio heater exploded on Tuesday.

Andy Samuel, who grew up with Liam in Wolverhampton, was engulfed in flames on the balcony of the star's £2 million flat after trying to fill up the heater.

Liam Payne and Andy Samuels

Liam has reportedly been at his friend's bedside since he suffered 20% burns to his chest, legs and arms and was last night in intensive care.

Andy's stepdad Matthew Baker told The Mirror: “We are so grateful to Liam because he saved his life.

“The lantern just exploded as Andy was lighting it and it took the full force of the flames. Liam helped him by beating out the flames and dousing him with water. He acted quickly and swiftly."

Andy's girlfriend wrote on Twitter:

Twenty-year-old Liam reportedly accompanied his friends in an ambulance. Another man and a woman are said to have suffered superficial burns to their hands.

In an incident report on London Fire Brigades website, station Manager Laurie Kenny, who was at the scene, said: "Firefighters worked quickly and professionally to get the fire under control as quickly as possible. Around 30 people left the building before we arrived and were not injured. Two of the occupants had superficial burns to their hands and the third had burns to his hands and face. All three have been taken to hospital."

The cause of the fire, which took six engines and 35 firefighters to control, is under now investigation.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

Photo gallery
One Direction's Road To World Domination
See Gallery