Boy, 17, Kissed Mum Goodbye Then Threw Himself Under Train

Boy, 17, Kissed Mum Goodbye Then Threw Himself Under Train

A teenager jumped in front of a train moments after kissing his mother goodbye - 13 years after he has found the body of his father who hanged himself.

An inquest was told that before his death in February, Jake Pirie, 17, had spent the weekend with his mother, Sarah, and sister Emily, 15, at home in the Yorkshire Dales.

He had been ill with a virus for several weeks and was distressed about falling behind with his English coursework, having lost a memory stick he needed to complete it.

However, he had seemed in good spirits as his mother drove to Northallerton station so that he could catch the Sunday afternoon train back to Uppingham School in Rutland.

He had telephoned a friend to arrange a taxi share at the other end, the hearing at County Hall, Northallerton, heard.

He then waited in the car while his mother bought a single ticket. "I did say, 'Do you want a return because it's cheaper?'," said Mrs Pirie, 50.

"He said, 'No. Just get a single. I don't know when I'm next going home or what's going on.' I thought about going back to give him another hug, but I thought, 'No, he's 17 now, he's grown up'.

"He told me he loved me as well, but that was quite normal."

At 5.45pm, after his mother had left the station, Jake jumped in front of a train passing through the small North Yorkshire station. He died immediately.

Mrs Pirie went home and e-mailed his house master.

"I thought he seemed better but at the time I was e-mailing Jake was already dead," she said.

"He was so popular and enjoyed the company of many friends. We are heart-broken and it will take a long time for us to start coming to terms with this tragedy."

John Ashby, the train driver, saw Jake standing close to the platform edge and sounded his horn as a warning.

The inquest was told that as a young child, Jake had witnessed an attempt by his father, James, to commit suicide.

Later, aged four, he discovered his father's body after he had hanged himself.

When asked how her husband's suicide had affected Jake, Mrs Pirie told the inquest: "He was starting to ask more questions about his father and what he was like."

She revealed that his grandmother also suffered from clinical depression and was being treated in a psychiatric unit.

Jake spoke to his house master, Jonathan Lee, days before his death.

Mr Lee told the inquest: "He said he had close friends but did not talk to them about family matters. He said he didn't like to ask for help, but had found our talk useful."

Mr Lee added that there was 'no suggestion' that Jake had been bullied at Uppingham, where he had been a scholarship pupil since the age of 14.

The coroner recorded a verdict of suicide.