Gluten free baking is tricky. There are many gluten free cookie recipes about, but few of them are able to match the texture you want from a freshly baked cookie. Thankfully, I have found this recipe provides what I believe to be the closest gluten-free cookie yet to the "real thing"..
Chocolate Chip Gluten Free Cookie
Makes 12 cookies
115g slightly salted butter
30g caster sugar
140g light brown sugar
1 egg (although to make the cookies egg free we used 4 heaped teaspoons of Orgran No Egg mixed with 2 tablespoons of water)
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
180g plain gluten free flour (we used Dove's Farm)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
150g chocolate chips
1. Melt the butter in the microwave. Then use a hand blender to mix in the caster sugar and light brown sugar. Add the egg (or egg substitute), milk and vanilla essence, and blend for two minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum, and stir well by hand.
3. Stir the the chocolate chips into the mixture. Then refrigerate for one hour. Timing is very important as any less than an hour and the mixture will 'run' on your baking trays!
4. When the hour is nearly up, preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas mark 5. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment, and shape the mixture into 60g (2oz) balls. Press the balls lightly onto the baking sheet - making sure they are well spaced out - no more than six cookies per sheet.
5. Cook for seven minutes, then rotate the tray. Cook for another seven minutes. Then using the back of a spoon, press the cookies flatter on the tray so they are nearly touching, before cooking for a further five minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to stand on the baking sheet for two minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
I've been told I'm funny, I've no idea if it was a compliment or not. I like to talk to myself as I give great conversation.
Blogs at: A Mother's Ramblings