Sabine Lisicki hit the fastest ever serve in women's tennis but lost her second round match with Ana Ivanovic at the West Classic in Stanford.
Lisicki served a 131mph beamer at 5-5 in the first set on Stadium Court, however the 2013 Wimbledon finalist was beaten 7-6 (7/2) 6-1 by the Serbian, who will meet Canada's Carol Zhao in the second round.
Venus Williams was the previous record holder, having hit an unreturnable 129mph serve at the 2007 US Open.
TENNIS' FASTEST SERVES
- 163.7mph: Samuel Groth, Aus, 2012 Busan Open Challenger
- 160mph: Albano Olivetti, Fr, 2012 Internazionali Trofeo Lame Perrel-Faip
- 156mph: Ivo Karlovic, Cro, 2011 Davis Cup
- 155.3mph: Milos Raonic, Can, 2012 Rogers Cup
- 155mph: Andy Roddick, US, 2004 Davis Cup
- 131mph: Sabine Lisicki, Ger, 2014 Stanford Classic
- 129mph: Venus Williams, US, 2007 US Open
- 128.6mph: Serena Williams, US, 2013 Australian Open
- 126.1mph: Julia Görges, Ger, 2012 French Open
- 126mph: Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, Neth, 2007 Indian Wells Masters