14/08/2014 16:49 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Ambulance Took 45 Minutes To Reach Unconscious Toddler On Motorway Hard Shoulder

Ambulance took 45 minutes to reach unconscious toddler on motorway hard shoulder

A frantic mum and dad had an agonising 45 minute wait for an ambulance on the hard shoulder of a motorway while their epileptic toddler daughter fitted and lost consciousness.

Samantha Price, 25, and Michael Crowley, 27, say three-year-old Mia was unconscious and turning purple as they waited on the westbound carriage of the M4 for the emergency services to arrive after she had a fit.

The couple had been on their way to Bridgend to deliver Easter eggs to their family when Mia fell ill.

Speaking to Wales Online, Samantha said the incident was 'terrifying'.

"She was completely out cold and not responding and we were in the most dangerous place. If we had been there any longer, we could have lost her," she said.

Mia was diagnosed with West syndrome - a rare epileptic disorder - two and a half years ago.
Her dad Michael said 'something told him' to glance back at Mia in the rear-view mirror as they were driving along.

"I saw that her eyes were rolling back in her head and she was starting to turn blue," he said.

They stopped the car and first-aid trained Michael checked Mia's airways were clear before putting her into the recovery position on the grass verge. Two motorists and a lorry driver pulled over to try to help, and an ambulance was called at 3.45pm.

When paramedics arrived at 4.30 they gave Mia glycogen, which helped to revive her, and took her to hospital, where her parents say they then had a six hour wait to see a paediatrician.

Michael said the care the paramedics gave Mia was outstanding, but that they had 'too much red tape' to get through to get ambulances dispatched quickly.

"Ambulances end up waiting around more than they should. The system needs to be sorted," he said.

The couple say they now aren't able to leave Mia alone even for a second in case she fits again.

"If we hear the slightest thing, we're out to her like a shot," said Samantha. "I get nervous if it's just me and her in the car. I never want to be in that position again. I just keep thinking what could have happened if we had been there any longer. We could have lost her."

The family have lodged a complaint with the Welsh Ambulance Service.