14/08/2014 16:51 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Boy, 11, Wakes From Coma

Eleven-year-old boy wakes from coma after suffering 'worst head injury' his doctors had ever seen

An 11-year-old boy has woken from a coma two weeks after an accident which left him with the 'worst head injury' his doctors had ever seen.

Harry Davies was left with a six-inch fracture in his skull after he was hit by a car when cycling home with his best friend, 12-year-old Douglas Simpson, in Pencaitland, East Lothian.

Harry landed head first in the road after the impact, and despite wearing a helmet, was severely injured.

Neurologists at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh put the youngster into a medically induced coma and inserted a bolt in his skull to reduce the swelling on his brain.

To the amazement of his doctors, brave Harry woke up on Sunday, and is now recovering well, eating and drinking, and sitting up in bed talking to friends and family.

His relieved mum Lisa, 46, said he had been 'lucky'.

"He had a six-inch crack in his skull and he had a fractured cheekbone. But it was the opposite side of the brain that was damaged because of the ricochet effect," she told the Daily Mail. "The neurologist said he had not seen this level of trauma in the brain of a child before. He's been quite lucky and he's a fighter."

Harry will need to keep the metal screw – which he calls his 'Dalek bolt' - in place until his skull has completely healed.

His mum said that doctors initially woke Harry from his coma after one week, but decided to put him back under to further aid his recovery.

"He wasn't able to handle it," Lisa said, "So doctors put him back to sleep for another week to let his brain recover. After that he woke up and was able to cope with it."

Lisa said Harry is now 'really making progress' and recognises his family and friends.

"He's sitting up and is able to eat and drink. He is looking really well," she said.

His dad Nick said he couldn't have wished for a better Father's Day present than Harry waking up on Sunday.

Medical staff told the family that if Harry hadn't been wearing his cycle helmet, he would have died from his injuries.

His friend Douglas, who had been walking alongside him as he cycled, escaped unharmed from the accident, despite also being hit by the car.