14/08/2014 12:48 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 06:12 BST

Dad Jailed For Labour Ward Outburst

Dad sent to prison for labour ward outburst

A dad has been sent to prison for damaging hospital property and insulting staff as his wife was in labour with their baby at Scunthorpe General Hospital.

Richard Durrell, 29, from Barton-Upon-Humber, admitted he had used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour towards two hospital employees, Katie Fields and Kathleen Hobson, and that he damaged two doors and a wall at the hospital in December last year.

North Lincolnshire magistrates heard from Rebecca Dolby, prosecuting, that Mr Durrell and his partner arrived at the hospital at around 9pm.

They were still there in the early hours of the morning, and an 'issue' arose over how Mr Durrell believed his partner was being treated.

He was said to have became 'irrational and angry with staff' and shouted and swore.

The Scunthorpe Telegraph reports that he also pulled a door, causing the handle to hit a wall, and kicked another door and a Christmas tree.

He was arrested outside the hospital after he was ordered to leave.

Rebecca Dolby told the court that Durrell admitted he was a 'monster' when he became angry and that he just couldn't stop himself.

He was said to have been unhappy at the 'level of care his partner was receiving', and according to Andrew Pascoe, mitigating, was in a 'very high state of stress and anger'.

Andrew Pascoe told the court that there had been problems during the deliveries of the couple's other two children, something which Mr Durrell blamed on the hospital's staff.

"He reacted badly to the prolonged birth and feared what might happen," said Mr Pascoe.

"He accepts he was very angry and shouted at members of staff in the delivery room and outside the delivery room. He accepts that hospital staff should not have to put up with that anger."

Durrell admitted breaching a 10-week suspended prison sentence imposed at the same court on July 7, 2011 for assault, causing actual bodily harm.

He was sent to prison for 10 weeks, with five weeks activated from the suspended sentence, plus five weeks for the hospital offences.

It is not known if he was present for the birth of his baby.