14/08/2014 16:54 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Dad Tried To Save Asthmatic Son As Paramedic Burst Into Tears, Inquest Hears

Dad tried to save asthmatic son after paramedic burst into tears

A father desperately tried to save his asthmatic 10-year-old son's life after a female paramedic collapsed in tears as she tried to clear the boy's airways.

Dwayne Cuming, 39, attempted to revive his son Harry when he suffered an asthma attack while watching TV.

He began to cry and plead: 'Dad, dad, it's not working,' after his two inhalers failed.

Although ambulance staff arrived, Mr Cuming had to treat the youngster himself.

"The paramedic couldn't get the tube in, she couldn't understand why, she was shaking and she started to cry," said Mr Cuming.

Harry died from cardiac and respiratory arrest.

The Preston inquest was told the asthma attack, in October 2011, occurred four days after the boy was discharged from hospital following a similar episode.

But Mr Cuming said the family had been 'fobbed off' by doctors who sent him home following a two-day stay without making any changes to his medication.

He insisted that hospital staff had ignored changes in his son's condition, adding: "The treatment Harry received clearly wasn't working.

"We asked for treatment reviews several times over the years but we were told that he was on the maximum dosage and couldn't try anything else.

"Harry was discharged four days before his death. He had more tightness in his chest and was becoming wheezy.

"We started to notice significant physical changes six months before his death. He gained a lot of weight and was growing quickly.

"He had a constant heavy wheeze in the last months of his life."

The hearing was told how Harry, from Croston in Lancashire, had been born six weeks premature and was diagnosed with asthma when he was just six months old.

His family had quickly learnt to recognise when he was having a bad attack, and doctors had prescribed him medication including inhalers, antibiotics and steroids.

After the two-day inquest Preston's deputy coroner Simon Jones ruled Harry had died from an acute asthma attack as a result of an anaphylactic reaction.

Mr Jones told the couple: "No-one should have to go through what you went through that evening. There is nothing that I can say that is going to offer any comfort to the family."