Grilled pepper and halloumi salad by Helen Graves
The resistant, tooth-squeaking texture works really well with soft, smoky peppers in this salad. try a variety of different colours for best results, but avoid the bitter green variety.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
500g halloumi cheese
5 peppers (a mixture of red, yellow and orange is nice)
A couple of handfuls rocket leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
1-2 teaspoons runny honey
About 10 mint leaves, finely shredded
Juice of 1 lemon
6 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Cut the peppers into large slices and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
2. Cut the halloumi cheese carefully into slices and pat dry with kitchen paper.
3. To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients together except the olive oil. You can either do this in a jam jar, pestle and mortar or small bowl. When well mixed, add the olive oil and whisk to combine or shake the jam jar vigorously until everything is emulsified. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste.
4. The peppers and halloumi are best cooked on the BBQ but can be cooked inside too; a griddle pan would be a good option. Cook until slightly charred on each side and softened then keep warm while you grill the halloumi.
5. Place the dry halloumi (do not add oil) straight onto the grill and cook until charred on both sides.
6. Scatter the rocket over a plate then arrange the halloumi and pepper slices on top. Drizzle over the dressing and serve while the halloumi is still warm.