14/08/2014 12:50 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 06:12 BST

Mum Delivers Her Baby Son In The Back Of A Taxi In Hospital Car Park

Mum delivers her baby son in the back of a taxi in hospital car park

A mum gave birth to her baby son in the back of a taxi after her waters broke on the journey to the maternity hospital.

Pamela McGinley, 39, who also has a two-year-old daughter, Teagan, ended up delivering 8lb baby Liam in the car park of the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital in Glasgow as her husband and the taxi driver ran for assistance.

The mum-to-be had been delayed in getting to the hospital after she had to wait for a relative to arrive to mind her young daughter. As she and her husband made their way to the maternity unit, her waters broke.

"I could feel the baby's head in my trousers and was terrified in case he couldn't breathe," Pamela told the Daily Record. "I was shouting to my husband in the front seat that I could feel the baby's head and he and the driver were both panicking."

As they pulled into the car park, Peter and taxi driver Jeffrey Morgan rushed to get help – but baby Liam just couldn't wait.

"I had one knee up on the back seat and one leg on the floor and was lying over the head rest when the baby came out," Pamela said. "I tried to catch him but he slipped out of my hands and fell on to the taxi floor."

Nursing staff arrived just as Liam popped out, and took both mother and child into A&E.

"When the nurses took him, I noticed that he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. The nurse took it off and he started crying. That was his first cry," Pamela said.

"I was in a state of shock. Jeff was so shaken that he had to be escorted to a room to have a cup of tea."

Pamela admitted she was so caught up in all the chaos that it took her 30 minutes to discover whether her new baby was a boy or a girl!

"It was half an hour before they did all the checks and brought my baby back – and I found out he was a boy," she said.

Taxi driver Jeffrey returned to the hospital the following day to meet his youngest fare.

The 50-year-old – who only started as a driver with Glasgow-based West End Radio Cars eight weeks ago – said that Pamela and Peter had done a 'great job'.

"All I did was concentrate on the road and try to get them there as quickly as possible," he told the paper. "When Pamela said the baby was coming, I was panicking. But the thing that kept me going was I drove my daughter Kerry to hospital almost three years ago when she was in labour with my grandson James and every set of lights was in our favour."

He added that he was 'so pleased' that baby Liam and the family were 'all OK'.