14/08/2014 16:48 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Mum Who Went Missing On Anniversary Of Daughter's Death Reunited With Family

Mum who went missing on anniversary of daughter's death reunited with family

A grieving mother who went missing for more than a week on the anniversary of her daughter's death has been reunited with her anxious family.

Sylvia Britton-Prior, 50, and son Adam, 21, had a tearful reunion following his frantic appeal for her whereabouts.

Sylvia disappeared after she travelled to Southamton to mark the third anniversary of her daughter Amber Mattingley's death in a road crash. She got in touch after reading how concerned her family were.

She rang her brother, who then shared the good news that she was safe and well with the rest of the family.

Sylvia had been staying with an old friend in Botley, Hampshire, who then drove her to see relatives for an emotional catch-up.

Adam said: "I'm over the moon to have Mum back with us - we are all massively relieved. She got in touch as soon as she read about how worried we all were, and says she wasn't thinking straight when she went missing.

"When I saw her again I just gave her the biggest bear hug I have ever given in my life and we were both close to tears.

"Once I could speak, I said 'Mum, what on earth were you playing at?' and she replied that she hadn't been thinking properly.

"Mum's been through a lot in the last few years and it's a huge relief to know that she's safe and well. She says she was in a bit of a state last week and felt like she needed a break, a breather."

Sylvia, who has six children including Amber, 29, vanished on March 25.

She said after leaving Adam's granddad's house she 'just kept walking', hurt her ankle and bumped into an old friend. He took care of her at his home for the week.

The Britton-Priors, from Nottingham, had travelled to Southampton on their annual pilgrimage to Amber's grave.

Amber, a cleaner, had lived and worked in Southampton where many members of her family are from.

She died in March 2010 when she collided with an articulated lorry as she cycled to work in the city.

An inquest into her death heard that investigators could not rule out the possibility she had been listening to music on her headphones when she was killed.

Sylvia's grief was compounded a year later when her mother also died.

Adam led the appeal for help and plastered 'missing' posters around the city.

He said following the reunion in Southampton: "When Mum starts walking she will keep going for miles."