14/08/2014 16:53 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Out Of Control Teenage Cyclist Sliced After Crashing Through Glass Window

Teenage cyclist sliced apart after crashing through plate-glass window

A teenage cyclist was almost sliced to death when her out-of-control bike ploughed through a plate glass window.

Shelby Berrill, 15, was left with potentially fatal injuries, including a fractured skull in three places, a fractured eye socket in four places, and a broken neck, jaw, shoulder blade and cheekbone.

She had deep and irregular slashes across her arms and body and suffered heavy blood loss after the glass window cut a number of her main arteries.

She was airlifted to University Hospital Coventry before being transferred to Birmingham Children's Hospital where surgeons spent almost 10 hours dealing with her injuries, inserting a titanium plate into her head and repairing her body with hundreds of stitches.

​After 18 days in hospital and a second operation on her damaged left arm, Shelby was allowed home on August 19.

The horrific accident happened when Shelby was unable to stop as she played on her father's farm in Leicestershire, racing down the hill at a terrifying pace before crashing straight through a double-glazed window.

She said: "As I flew down the hill and saw the glass coming towards me I honestly thought I was going to die.

"I went straight over the path at the bottom of the hill and into the window. I could see it coming at me and tried to do a wheelie so the bike took the full force of the impact.

"My body was sliced in so many places but I managed to crawl on to the front lawn."

Shelby, of Beaumont Leys, Leicester, is now trying to trace a Good Samaritan who came to her aid.

She said: "I honestly thought I was going to die. As I lay there I could hear this man's voice.

"He used his belt to make a tourniquet to stop the bleeding on my left arm, which was just ripped apart. He asked for towels and told people to keep my head still.

"He seemed to know what he was doing and I want to meet him to say thanks for saving my life."