14/08/2014 16:57 BST | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Schoolgirl Suffered Second Degree Burns After IPhone Caught Fire In Pocket

iPhone 5c web-page displayed in an Apple iPad.

A 14-year-old girl suffered second-degree burns when her iPhone caught fire in her pocket while she was at school.

The teenager, who has not been named, was burned on the thigh and back when her iPhone 5C started smouldering in her back pocket.

Classmates at the school in Maine, US, heard a pop and saw smoke billowing around the 14-year-old, who had to remove her pants in class to get away from the fire.

The girl, who has not been named, had just arrived for her French class at a Kennebunk middle school. Principal Jeff Rodman told the Morning Sentinel: "She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cell phone."

A group of girls gathered around the student and helped remove her clothes, while boys who were in the class were ushered outside.

Mr Rodman said: "It was sensitive. She knew she was kind of in a tough situation."

The girl's mother, Judy Milligan, had given her daughter the green iPhone 5C two months ago.

More on Parentdish: Blackberry catches fire in schoolboy's bed