14/08/2014 16:57 BST | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Sleepwalking Mum Broke Her Back, Neck And Wrists


A mum has told how she suffered horrific injuries after she went sleepwalking during a stay at a friend's house.

Morag Fisher, 40, was found in a pool of blood with a broken back, neck and wrists after falling down the stairs. She also broke her jaw, nose, eye socket and cheek bones.

Now at home recovering after 10 days in hospital, the mum-of-one – who has installed baby gates on her stairs at home to stop it happening again – said: "When they found me I was bleeding a lot and my friend who used to be a nurse thought I was dead.

"The ambulance got to me and took me to the major trauma unit and later that afternoon the doctors said that they did not know how I wasn't in intensive care.

"It was a week before I looked at myself in the mirror because my face was such a mess, I just couldn't bring myself to it.

"Now, when I do look at myself I feel lucky to be alive and even luckier to be walking.

"I have sleepwalked before but usually I just wander around and then go back to bed, but because I was at a friend's house it was unfamiliar and I fell."

Morag, mum to six-year-old Olivia from Witham-St-Hugh's, Lincolnshire, told her local paper she had sleepwalked all her life.

She said: "My daughter has been a superstar throughout all of this and if anything she is mothering me.

"I am still wearing a brace for my back and she helps me with it. She even said that I look like a mummy again and not a zombie. I have now put stairgates in to keep my house safe."

Morag's friend Carl Muggleton was in bed in his Long Eaton home when he heard the crash at 5am.

He said: "I woke up to an almighty crash and jumped out of bed and saw her lying at the bottom of the stairs in a pool of blood. I knew that she did sleepwalk but never expected anything like this.

"I tried to stem the bleeding until the ambulance arrived and it wasn't until it came that I noticed one of her wrists had spun all the way around. I have a very sharp set of stairs and there is not a lot of room at the bottom so she is lucky to be with us today.

"The treatment she had at the hospital was second to none and it makes you realise what a special place we have in Nottingham."

Major trauma case manager Rohan Revell, from the Queen's Medical Centre, said: "We can only assume that she went head-over-heels instead of down on her bum and a lot of fatalities happen this way.

"When she came in she looked like she had gone ten rounds with someone. We gave her an epidural to address her pain and the spinal injury she had. She still has to wear a back brace like a corset to protect the spine while it heals.

"She was an absolutely lovely patient and the most rewarding thing for us is that she has been back to visit us all."

Morag is expecting to have her back brace removed in roughly six weeks.