14/08/2014 16:48 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

'Sulking' Teen Hanged Herself After Row With Dad Over Mobile Phone

'Sulking' teen hanged herself after row with dad over mobile phone

A teenager hanged herself after a row with her dad when he took her mobile phone from her.

Jade Stringer, 14, was said to be 'sulking' when her dad David confiscated her phone after she was allegedly hit by a boy, an inquest heard.

He offered to return it if he could check her messages but she refused to give him the charger or switch it on.

Thirty minutes later the distraught 32-year-old dad found Jade hanging from a stairwell to her attic bedroom by her pink scarf. She was taken to hospital in a critical condition but died six days later.

The inquest heard that Jade's parents, who are separated, had been worried she was receiving abusive text messages from a boy she had accused of hitting her.

Jade's mother, Natalie Ingoe, 32, told the hearing in Rochdale that her daughter, who had done well at school, started wearing make-up and wanting to go out at night around the age of 12 or 13.

But in March 2011, Mr Stringer and Mrs Ingoe discovered that she was sleeping with a boyfriend and spoke to his parents to make sure they were never left unsupervised.

Then in November of that year Jade took an overdose of paracetamol and had to be kept in hospital overnight.

Last summer, Jade, from Bury, Greater Manchester, accused a boy of assaulting her, and her mobile phone was seized by police in an attempt to stop him contacting her.

Mr Stringer said that when it was returned last June, he and Jade's mother told her that 'she could have her phone back on the condition that we could check it to see that the lad hadn't sent her any abusive messages'.

He added: "I asked her for the charger but she was in a sulk and said she didn't want me to switch it on.

"It was a stand-off and she was sulking in her bedroom. I left her to cool off and later went upstairs to see if she was still sulking, and that's when I found her."

Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, assistant deputy coroner Lisa Hashmi said there had been no major cause for concern before the 'disagreement' over the mobile phone.

She said she could not be sure that Jade's actions weren't 'simply another cry for help or call for attention', and concluded: "I cannot be satisfied that she intended to take her own life."