14/08/2014 16:48 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Three-Year-Old Girl Died After Her Buggy Was Blown Into Path Of Van

Three-year-old girl dies after her buggy is 'blown under van by wind'

A little girl has died after her pushchair rolled into the path of a van after reportedly being blown away by a gust of wind in Croydon.

The toddler, named locally as three-year-old Olivia Uffindell, is said to have gone into cardiac arrest after the accident, and died an hour later at St George's Hospital in Tooting, despite her devastated mum Louise's desperate attempts to keep her alive at the scene.

Olivia's grandmother, Debbie McClatchie, 49, told the Daily Mail that her 29-year-old daughter blamed herself for the accident, which allegedly occurred outside their home after she momentary let go of Olivia's pushchair to pick something up from inside her front door.

"She blames herself of course but it was a freak accident. I keep telling her no-one's to blame," Mrs McClatchie said. "She just reached inside the door to pick something up and the wind just took the pushchair. She's a nursery nurse and knows CPR so she tried to revive her, she said to me: 'Mum I did try'."

The heartbroken grandmother described Olivia as being a 'very chatty very funny, very clever.' little girl and added that she didn't know how the family were going to live without her.

It is reported that the driver of the van and his female passenger stopped and tried to help save the little girl as they spoke to the 999 operator.

Witnesses say they heard Olivia's mum screaming 'she's dead, she's dead' as she desperately try to revive her by administering CPR.

One woman told the Mail: "I came out after hearing some noises and saw the buggy which had been crushed. I saw the little girl and she looked like she was in a bad way. Her mum was screaming. She said she had left her in her buggy outside her house for a few moments while she went back inside to get something."

The Metropolitan Police said a 36-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and later released on bail.

Delivery firm DPD confirmed to the Croydon Advertiser that one of its vehicles was involved in the incident and said their 'deepest sympathy' goes out to the familyd