14/08/2014 16:57 BST | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Toddler Chewed Prescription Pills Pushed Through Wrong Letterbox


A toddler was rushed to hospital after he chewed diabetes pills that had been pushed through the wrong letterbox by a local pharmacy.

Zubayr Naeem, 21 months, was attracted to the chocolate-coloured medication he found near the front door, and put two tablets in his mouth.

He was about to swallow them when his quick-thinking dad, Mohammed Naeem, fished them out of his mouth after realising what he had done.

Zubayr took Trajenta pills, which improve glycaemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.

The pills lower blood sugar over time and, in a child under two, would have caused a coma and probable death if swallowed and no antidote or sugar was administered swiftly.

They were addressed to a neighbour, but had been delivered in error by a local pharmacy.

Riaz Pharmacy said medication should not be posted through a letterbox, and said a driver had been suspended.

Mr Naeem, from Blackburn, Lancashire, returned home after seeing a friend to find Zubayr pushing two tablets into his mouth in the hallway.

His wife Yasmin, cooking in the kitchen, was unaware the drugs had been posted through the letterbox.

Mr Naeem rang the NHS 111 line and was told to take his son to A&E at Royal Blackburn Hospital. Zubayr was kept in overnight.

Father-of-four Mr Naeem told the local paper: "I was really scared. He could have died. This should never have happened. They should never have just pushed such dangerous drugs through a letterbox instead of handing them to someone.

"These pills looked just like chocolates and my son was far too young to know not to eat them."

Pharmacy manager Riaz Hinglotowala said: "This issue is currently under investigation to find out exactly what happened. These drugs should not have been pushed through a letterbox.

"Our policy is to give them to an individual and if no-one is present leave a note asking them to ring us to arrange delivery. The driver has been suspended."