The days of double denim being deemed a major fashion no-no (circa Britney and Justin at the 2001 American Music Awards) are gone. It's one of this season's biggest trends and the vibe is 1990s cool.
Personally, I'm feeling three-way denim this summer. After teaming up with Urban Outfitters to pick out the best pieces from the latest jeans wear collections, here's a look at how I've styled the look.
Think easy, edgy threads that are completely wearable and affordable. And the best thing about this trend - who doesn't have at least one item of denim in their wardrobe already? It's the forever fabric.
Acid wash denim shirt £35, Dark denim jacket £55, Vintage renewal raw-cut denim shorts £35.
Cheap Monday two-tone denim shirt in blue £60, Destroyed boyfriend jeans £65.
Cheap Monday two-tone denim shirt in blue £60, Light before dark destroy denim skirt in black £55.
Dark denim jacket £55, Cheap Monday two-tone denim shirt in blue £60, Vintage renewal raw-cut light denim shorts £35.
Native rose tapestry denim dungarees £75, Cheap Monday two-tone denim shirt in blue £60.
All you need to master this trend is a few additional staples; if you've already got boyfriend jeans, invest in a simple shirt. Try out an acid wash colour or opt for a sleeveless style.
Here's five notes on doing double denim...
1. Oversized classic shirts and jackets will work with anything - do both together or opt for one and tuck into high waisted skinny/boyfriend jeans.
2. Mix up the texture of your denim by choosing ripped, frayed, distressed or embellished styles. Patchwork still looks awesome too.
3. Dungarees are how to go top to toe in this fabric - roll up the bottoms and wear with funky flatforms, ankle boots or your Nike Air Max.
4. If you're unsure about wearing so much all at once - do layers. Wear a denim shirt under your fave sweatshirt, a smart blazer or pinafore dress. Or over a sporty tee tied at the waist.
5. Have fun with it, make your own rules. More is more and you know it.
*All accessories my own*
Check out more from our fashion pages right here...
Menswear For Women: Shop And Style Boyfriend Jeans, Bombers And Brogues
Spring/Summer 2014: 10 Catwalk Looks To Inspire Your New Season Wardrobe
NatWest UK Fashion & Textile Awards 2014: The Shortlist
Pylot Magazine: The Kickstarter Fashion Mag That Refuses To Airbrush