The Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant again, it was announced today (Monday, 8 September). In this lightning-paced age of social media, Twitter users had made the #RoyalBaby hashtag a trending topic within minutes.
From the heartfelt to the hilarious with a few political perfunctory tweets, here are our favourite responses to the royal baby news from Twitter:
PM: Many congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I'm delighted by the happy news that they're expecting another baby.
- UK Prime Minister (@Number10gov) September 8, 2014
Fantastic to hear that Prince George will soon be a big brother! Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on their happy news.
- Ed Miliband (@Ed_Miliband) September 8, 2014
Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the news that #RoyalBaby number two is on the way.
- Nick Clegg (@nick_clegg) September 8, 2014
Congratulations & best wishes to the Earl & Countess of Strathearn. Wonderful to hear they're expecting their second baby – very happy news!
- Alex Salmond (@AlexSalmond) September 8, 2014
Wonderful news that the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge are expecting second child. Praying for the family, and that morning sickness subsides.
- Justin Welby (@JustinWelby) September 8, 2014
And it didn't take long for Twitter fans to see the funny side of the happy news:
Well that's the Lindo Wing off my list of birth options - might be a bit busy there... #RoyalBaby
- Charlotte Hawkins (@CharlotteHawkns) September 8, 2014
There is something slightly awkward about the first two paragraphs of the BBC story about the royal baby. pic.twitter.com/AD1u357tI7
- Maureen Johnson (@maureenjohnson) September 8, 2014
At the other end of the scale, the more cynical couldn't contain their (mock) excitement that a married woman in her 30s was taking the unprecedented step of having a baby.
BREAKING NEWS: A married woman of childbearing age is pregnant. http://t.co/7qFSPGMAiZ pic.twitter.com/bONGXUI3Zx
- HuffPost UK Comedy (@HuffPostUKCom) September 8, 2014
Buckingham Palace announce's the world's 7,259,271,028th baby. Nothing to see here, move along please
- Kevin Maguire (@Kevin_Maguire) September 8, 2014
Others couldn't resist a cheeky gag about the announcement coming just one day after the shock poll that put the Yes campaign for Scottish independence in the lead.
Dear Scotland, If the Duchess of Cambridge gets pregnant again, will you stay? Yours, BetterTogether #PregnantTogether
- David Schneider (@davidschneider) September 8, 2014
Buck House insists Royals neutral, not trying to win anyone over. But new baby name suggestions include Jock Angus Fraser Murdo and Scot.
- David Baddiel (@Baddiel) September 8, 2014
Wow, the No campaign really is pulling out all the stops > Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant with second child http://t.co/TCgkiKdumB
- Aditya Chakrabortty (@chakrabortty) September 8, 2014
This made me giggle #indyref #RoyalBaby pic.twitter.com/hXLSDhqV40
- Dr Eurovision (@dreurovision) September 8, 2014
Former England rugby star Mike Tindall, husband of William's cousin Zara Phillips, was participating on a live radio show when the news broke.
He told talkSport: "I just sent them a message saying it was nice to hear the news on the radio."