The boys beat off stiff competition from Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and Ariana Grande in the Best Pop category, and also took home the awards for Best Live Act and Biggest Fans, proving once and for all that you don’t mess with the Directioners.
One Direction - sans Zayn - accept their EMA over video
1D weren’t there to collect their awards as they were in London, where they performed ‘Steal My Girl’ live on Sunday night’s ‘X Factor’, but thanked their “incredible fans” in a pre-recorded acceptance speech.
Curiously, Zayn Malik didn’t appear in the videos, causing a stir in the fan community, though he did appear with his bandmates for their ‘X Factor’ peformance.
Nicki Minaj poses with her EMA
Other stars to scoop awards on the night included Best Hip Hop winner Nicki Minaj - who also acted as the host and debuted a new track, ‘Bed Of Lies’ - and Ariana Grande, who was honoured with Best Song for her Iggy Azalea collaboration, ‘Problem’.
Katy Perry’s ‘Dark Horse’ won Video of the Year, while Australian pop band 5 Seconds of Summer bagged Best New Act, ahead of Kiesza, Charli XCX and Sam Smith.
Check out the full list of winners below:
- Best Song - Ariana Grande, ‘Problem’ featt. Iggy Azalea
- Best Pop - One Direction
- Best Female - Ariana Grande
- Best Male - Justin Bieber
- Artist On The Rise - 5 Seconds Of Summer
- Best Live - One Direction
- Best New - 5 Seconds Of Summer
- Best Video - Katy Perry, ‘Dark Horse’ feat. Juicy J
- Best Rock - Linkin Park
- Best Alternative - Thirty Seconds To Mars
- Best Hip Hop - Nicki Minaj
- Best Electronic - Calvin Harris
- Best Song With A Message - Beyoncé - “Pretty Hurts”
- Biggest Fans - One Direction
- Best Look - Katy Perry
- Best PUSH - 5 Seconds Of Summer
- Best World Stage - Enrique Iglesias
- Worldwide Act - Bibi Zhou
- Global Icon - Ozzy Osbourne