Great tasting and easy to make, these veggie burgers can be made from ingredients stored in your freezer and will go down well with kids and parents alike.
2 tbsp sunflower oil
150g chopped onion (frozen or fresh)
1 tsp frozen garlic (frozen or fresh)
300g frozen mashed potato
400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium free-range egg, beaten
120g frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and water squeezed out
50g lighter mature British Cheddar, grated
1 tsp dried thyme
40g fine breadcrumbs
For the salsa
50g chopped onion (frozen or fresh)
2 tsp chopped garlic (frozen or fresh)
230g tin Italian chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp Fairtrade white caster sugar
4 tbsp frozen chopped parsley
1. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a small frying pan and fry the chopped onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, put the mashed potato in a large microwave-safe bowl and cook on defrost for 3-4 minutes, stirring once, until thoroughly defrosted.
3. Pulse the drained butter beans in a blender or food processor until roughly minced. Add the beans to the mashed potato with the fried onion and garlic, egg, spinach, cheese and thyme. Mix well, then season to taste.
4. Divide and shape the mixture into 8 patties, then coat in breadcrumbs.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the burgers for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden.
6. To make the salsa, heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion and fry for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, fry for 2 minutes then stir in the tomatoes and 300ml cold water. Bring to the boil, add the sugar, season with black pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and heat through. Serve burgers with tomato salsa.
Recipe courtesy of Sainsbury's Love Your Freezer.
More on Parentdish