13/01/2015 07:13 GMT | Updated 20/05/2015 06:12 BST

Firefighters Rescue Five-Year-Old Wedged In Toilet


A five-year-old got into a wee spot of bother after getting trapped down the side of a toilet bowl!

Jamie Smart, five, had to be rescued by firefighters after he became wedged in the downstairs loo at his family's home in Sale, Trafford.

The boy had gone into the bathroom to look at a pretend hand-dryer his parents had made for him so he could play at drying his hands - but became so absorbed he somehow slid into the gap between the toilet and the wall.

His mum and dad Alison, 38, and Martin, 44, first removed the downstairs bathroom door - then the toilet seat and finally the toilet cistern.

But with Jamie still stuck, they had no option but to call the fire brigade.

Fortunately, after a struggle, a fireman managed to twist little Jamie free, unharmed but for a few scrapes and bruises.

Mum Alison told her local paper: "It's funny now but at the time he was screaming and really upset.
"No matter what I did I couldn't get him out and that's when I started to panic.

"We took off the door, then the toilet seat and cistern off and thought we were going to have to remove the whole toilet.

"In the end we called the fire service and they came straight out.

"One of them lay on the floor and suddenly was saying 'he's free, he's free'."

Alison added: "Jamie's fine now apart from a few scrapes and bruises but nothing major.

"He loves fire engines so when the crew had finished they let him go out and get in the truck and try on a helmet.

"We felt a bit stupid having to call the fire brigade out but they were great, they were really calm and took control of the situation and we'd just like to say thank you."

(We're still intrigued by the homemade cardboard and foil hand dryer!?)

More on Parentdish:

Firefighters come to rescue after toddler gets bowl stuck on her head