15/01/2015 09:11 GMT | Updated 20/05/2015 06:12 BST

Mum's Warning After Daughter Is 'Severely' Burned By Nail Glue

South Wales Post

A mum has warned parents to be vigilant about nail glue after her teenage daughter was burned so severely that she may require a skin graft.

Lois Archer, 15, was trying on false nails with a friend using a kit ordered online when the horrifying accident occurred.

The teenager, from Cwmavon, near Port Talbot in South Wales, was balancing the pot of glue on her knee when it tipped over, spilling onto her trousers.

Her mother, Adrienne, described the terrifyingly fast injuries caused by the glue the moment it came into contact with her daughter's leg.

"Her leg was sizzling and smoking," she told the South Wales Evening Post. "The glue left a big huge burn on her thigh."

The glue was so powerful, Adrienne said, that it burned straight through Lois' trousers and gave her a burn measuring three inches, leaving her in agony.

Adrienne hurried her daughter to the minor injuries unit at Neath Port Talbot Hospital, where she received treatment. However, it then became infected, meaning that Lois had to be transferred to a burns unit, where she remains.

"Her leg was still burning three days later," Adrienne said. "It was incredible – it is like she was burned in an acid attack."

The burn to Lois' leg is now considered so severe that she may require an operation. "They are going to decide if she needs a skin graft to repair the damage," added Adrienne.

Adrienne now wants other parents to pass on the dangers of the solvents used in beauty kits to prevent injuries like the one sustained by Lois.

Although the kit Lois was using was bought online, fake nail adhesives are sold across the UK, and Adrienne is now warning women and girls to be aware of the powerful and potentially harmful chemicals they contain.

More on Parentdish

Teenager loses tip of her finger after glueing on false nails

Schoolgirl's eyebrows burnt off in salon horror