04/03/2015 15:44 GMT | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Ayesha Ali Death: Mum And Lover Convicted Of Eight-Year-Old's Manslaughter


A mother and her female lover have been convicted of killing her eight-year-old daughter.

Ayesha Ali was found dead in her bedroom with more than 50 injuries in east London, in August 2013.

Her mum Polly Chowdhury, 35, and her sadistic lover Kiki Muddar, 43, were convicted of manslaughter after clearing them of murder.

The Old Bailey heard that on the morning of 29 August 2013, Muddar dialled 999 to report that Chowdhury had tried to kill herself in the bath and that Ayesha was dead.

Paramedics discovered the child 'cold and stiff' in her bedroom.

The cause of her death was a head injury, and she had suffered more than 40 injuries in all, including a bite mark and carpet burns.

Chowdhury left a series of notes appearing to admit the killing, saying: "I have taken my life and Ayesha's life."

But during the course of the investigation, police discovered evidence implicating Muddar in Ayesha's death.

Officers unravelled a set of alter egos on Facebook that Muddar had created to control and seduce Chowdhury, turning her against her daughter because she saw her as a threat.

Muddar had befriended Chowdhury when they lived next door to each other and she got sympathy by pretending to be fighting cancer.

Chowdhury's husband, Afsar Ali, moved the family to get away from her influence, but Muddar followed and evicted him from the marital bed, leading to the breakdown of the marriage.

Meanwhile, Muddar spun a web of lies and deceit through her fake personas, including Chowdhury's cyber-boyfriend, Jimmy. She was also behind a fake Muslim spirit guide, Skyman, used to prey on Chowdhury's religious belief in ghosts and messages from beyond the grave.

Muddar, who claimed to work as an engineer for the Olympics, expressed her hatred for Ayesha in a series of phone calls and texts that she kept copies of, and even blamed the child for making her cancer worse, the court heard.

She told Chowdhury, a solicitors' admin worker, that Ayesha was 'evil' and had 'bad blood', and repeatedly encouraged her to discipline the child.


She bombarded Chowdhury with more than 40,000 texts, telling her: "You have no right to ever love or like your evil daughter."

Det Insp Donna Convery said: "It took us months to unpick and investigate the web of lies that Kiki Muddar had constructed.

"In the six months before her death, Ayesha was subjected to horrific levels of mental abuse, which during the summer holidays escalated to become physical.

"She was an innocent child who was caught up in the most bizarre set of events, manipulated by two adults who were intent on causing her harm."

Baljit Ubhey, chief crown prosecutor, said Ayesha had been 'beaten and tormented for a number of months......[and] was scared and intimidated in her own home'.

"Chowdhury and Muddar have now been brought to justice for this despicable crime," he said.

The jury, which retired on 19 February, cleared the pair of murder but found them guilty of manslaughter by a majority of 10-2 after deliberating for more than 31 hours.

The pair are due to be sentenced on Friday.